Year 9 will be exploring a unit called RISKY WORLD at the start of the Michaelmas term.
I asked my Twitter network earlier today to send me a risk they had taken... these could be passed to students to develop a continuum of risk and identify which risks we take on a daily basis.
Paul Turner passed me a link to a YouTube video, which I'd forgotten about, made for the Cambridge Ideas series by David Spiegelhalter, who is Professor of the Public Understanding of Risk. The video explores the uncertainties that we face in our daily lives, and how we might reconcile ourselves to some of them. It also reminds us of the useful term micromort: a 1 in a million chance of dying...
Some really interesting ideas in this short video which are worth exploring more.
As part of my preparation for teaching this unit, and also our Year 7 unit: 'Who wants to live forever', I've just ordered a new book that the good Professor co-authored called 'The Norm Chronicles'.
The website to accompany the book goes through a typical person called Norm's life experiences, and talks about risks.....

No comments:
Post a Comment