Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Everest.... "because it is there..."

I'm planning to take the Adventure Landscapes opener for Year 7s to extremes: to the roof of the world.
Students will be conquering the death zone, and exploring the awful fascination of this place...
The video for this track by 'Public Service Broadcasting' will be an opener....
Russel Tarr is a fan, which is as good a recommendation as any...

2 comments:

  1. Alan,
    Have you read the book by Wade Davis "Into the Silence" - it is about the 1921,1922 and 1924 expeditions - a really good read (though a 'big book') - and some potential passages that might inspire pupils.
    You might also know Robert MacFarlane's 'Mountains of the Mind' - that has some great writing about what people thought about mountains in the past and how we think about them now (great on different/changing ideas about places) plus a chapter on Everest' with some very useable sections.
    Finally, check out my piece on the GA Wales SIG page on 'Six things you may or may not know about Wales' - it has a short piece on Sir George Everest (including how the mountain should be pronounced!)
    Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Duncan - I've got the book by Wade Davis, and Mountains of the Mind has been a favourite since it was published...
    I will check the GA Wales SIG page - good to see activity there.
    I hope you are well..

    ReplyDelete